Trigger warning: this episode involves in depth discussion of sexual assault and rape.
In this episode Jessy and Rebekah start off by discussing the fact that the Golder State Killer got caught (big ups to Michelle McNamara) and then, as if you thought that wasn’t dark enough, things get more serious. Your favorite almost-famous podcast hosts then discuss the details of the Bill Cosby is a rapist situation that has been unfolding. And it’s about damn time people talk about this since the first allegations involve something that happened in 1965. That was 53 years ago, Vaginalings. And finally, the ladies try to lighten things up by pulling out some results of a 2014 Bill Cosby meme generator gone wrong. The results are mixed.
- 01:03: Jessy and Rebekah celebrate the arrival of the warm weather! But we all know what arrives with warm weather…creeps, and lots of ‘em.
- 01:48: The Golden State Killer AKA the East Area Rapist AKA the Original Night Stalker AKA the Visalia Ransacker was finally caught! His name is Joseph DeAngelo and it’s about time that mother fucker got got. You can learn all about him by reading Michelle McNamara’s book I’ll Be Gone in the Dark or listening to episode #1of My Favorite Murder where Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark talk about the East Area Rapist or episode #118 where the duo reflects on the arrest of a suspect in the decade-long rape/murder/ransack spree.
- 03:03: Not only does he have two (or maybe three) children but they are daughters. DAUGHTERS!
- 03:18: He actually called and taunted victims as recently as 2001, not 2000 as Rebekah stated.
- 03:53: Rebekah was referring to Gary Leon Ridgway, AKA The Green River Killer, who is proven to have murdered 49 people but is suspected of killing at least 90, most of whom were sex workers.
- 05:18: Jessy and Rebekah begin the real reason for this episode: a discussion of Bill Cosby (insert vomit emoji here).
- 08:58: *** In September, 2005 Bill Cosby admitted in a deposition that he gave young women Quaaludes in an effort to have sex with them***
- 09:28: Here is a link to part of Hannibal Buress’ October 16, 2014 bit when Buress really went after Cosby. This had been a part of his bit for a while but this particular performance is credited with bringing Cosby’s actions into the light.
- 14:18 This article by Noreen Malone in The Cut gives detailed accounts from 35 of Bill Cosby’s accusors.
- 16:47: According to RAINN, 7 out of 10 rapes are committed by someone known to the victim. Some organizations report that rate as being as high as 9 out of 10 victims although that usually applies to college campuses.
- 17:18: This doesn’t just happen around the rich and famous. Jessy and Rebekah discuss some reasons why victims of sexual assault don’t come forward and tell their own stories of being victims of sexual assault.
- 19:13: Here is some info about Brock Turner. This is actually a link to a letter read to the court by the victim. It is really hard to get through but incredibly important.
- 20:53: Camille Cosby whyyy?!?!
- 23:06: Here is a link to Barbara Bowman’s article for the Washington Post.
- 25:04 Here is a link to our episode on the USAG scandal. Give ‘er a listen!
- 26:17: Back in 2014 the Cosby Camp ill-advisedly created a meme generator to try and drum up some Cosby love. It backfired.
Contact us! Watch us! Love us!